Destinations / Central region

Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro

Sunday, February 13, 2011 · Region Central region · Comments

Ivan Crnojevic - Builder of the Cetinje Monastery

Old monastery was built by Ivan Crnojevic in 1484 at the locality which is called “Cipur” (from the Greek kipurion which means a wonderful garden), and the monastery was ruined in 1692 during one of the breeches of Sulejman pasha Busatlija on Cetinje. About its original appearance there are two testimonies:

  • Engraving from Cetinje Oktoih,
  • and a plan of a Venetian engineer Barbieri. 

Rebuilding the Cetinje monastery

Montenegrin metropolitan Danilo Petovic renewed the monastery at the beginning of XIII century. Instead of renewal of the old monastery, a new one was built in the place of the Castle of Ivan Crnojevic, but the trustee inscription, which is located above the entrance doors of the church, and the herald of Crnojevic family, which is built into the outer side of the altar apsidal have been passed onto. After the reconstruction the monastery complex took up the size of 1400 square meters. Trenches filled up with water and a defensive wall with 62 gun holes surrounded it. Inside the walls there were night chambers, a smaller church of Sveti Petar (St. Peter), and a big basilica of Sveta Djevica (Saint Virgin). Several times additions were built and in time the Cetinje monastery acquired its present look in the period between 1925 and 1927.

Relics which can be found in the Cetinje Monastery

The nucleus of the monastery is the church of Rodjenja Bogorodice (Birth of the Virgin). Entire relics of Sveti Petar Cetinjski (St. Peter from Cetinje), by whom the monastery got the name, have been places inside it. Portions of St. John's right hand (Sveti Jovan Krstitelj), with which he baptised Jesus, is said to be in the possession of the Serbian Orthodox Cetinje Monastery in Montenegro, and also at the Romanian Skete of the Forerunner on Mount Athos as well. Another relic of his forearm is in a glass display case at the Seraglio (Topkapi Soray), which had been the palace of the Ottoman sultans in Constantinople following the Fall of the City. Segment of Honorable Cross, as well as a part of the relics of Teodor Stratilan are preserved in the monastery with which the monastery itself is one of the richest treasuries of the Christian world.

Above the monastery you can see a skit of Sveti Jovan Krstitelj that was built in 1997. The construction of the Church of Sveti Jovan Krstitelj in that place is in plan and it will be built in the honor of saint’s right hand that is kept in the monastery. First primary and secondary school in Montenegro were formed in the Monastery. Petar II Petrovic Njegos (1813 – 1851), the most famous Montenegrin ruler and poet handled a print shop as well as a workshop for producing zinc cannon balls. Cetinje monastery served also as a mausoleum to dynasty Petrovic, and prince Danilo Petrovic, his wife Darinka, his daughter Olga, as well as the great duke Mirko Petrovic, bishop Sava Petrovic and many other have been buried in it.

Photos

Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro
Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro

Cetinje monastery | Cetinje, Montenegro on map